Descriptive Reflection: Self-Introduction Letter

Dear Mr. Brad,

My name is Hareshvaran. I'm a student in your "Critical Thinking and Communicating" module. The purpose of writing this letter is to introduce myself. Having gone through three seminars with you, I find your lessons very engaging, and I am eager to learn more in the coming weeks.

I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a  diploma in Aerospace Technology. During my six-month internship, I gained a fresh perspective on working life and it gave me a clear direction of the kind of career I wanted to pursue. This turned out to be the driving factor in my choice to enroll in an engineering program at the Singapore Institute of Technology.

One weakness that I've identified is how nervous I get when speaking to large groups of people. As a result, I often use notes to help me ensure that I do not forget any deliverables. Another way I try to prepare myself for public speaking and presentations is to anticipate the kind of questions my audience may ask. This, in turn, makes it one of my strengths in communication. 

By anticipating questions, I am prepared to answer any questions my professor or peers may have. However, I am sure that professors will identify mistakes and I will take them as opportunities to learn. 

The two goals I have for this module are to gain a wider perspective on matters that I may already know and learn many new things whilst improving my public speaking. As we discussed in seminar one, we must "learn, unlearn and relearn." 

What differentiates me from others is that I try to improve on my communication skills using unorthodox methods. Many of us know that reading is a good way to gain knowledge and improve our language. However, I prefer to watch documentaries.

I am confident that this module will inspire me to grow and learn many new things, both in school and in the working world. I look forward to attending your next seminar. 

Best regards,

Haresh.

Comments

  1. Haresh has good content, and addresses all the required aspects of the assignment. His email is formal and has a friendly tone and shows the positive aspect of his personality. He also shares some of his weakness and strength
    The Language used in the email is also appropriate and formal, with little to no grammatical errors.
    There is a clear message and clarity in his email and
    the main aspects of the email are clearly expounded upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Noel. I'm glad that you are able to understand the message that I'm trying to put across. I will see what points can be edited and will look to improve on them when publishing my next assignment

      Delete
  2. Haresh delivers the required content in a cocise, smooth and effective manner. The slight change ups he has made in the organisation of the letter are a welcome change and work well to deliver a detailed and personal introduction of himself.
    language is clear and correct.
    I also aprecaite that this introduction also shows his detail oriented and self-improvement minded nature.
    Over all very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Kumar. Glad that you found my introduction detailed and easy to understand

      Delete
  3. Haresh's letter is well written as he convey his idea and point clearly which is really easy to understand. His language use his formal and really soothing to read. The letter also tells how good his personality is. Overall it is a very good introduction and it is worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Haresh,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and fairly well substantiated letter. The content is in line with the assignment brief, you organize your ideas well and the language use is quite good. You've done well, for example, by providing some supporting information for each specific content area, which allows us readers to gain a clearer understanding of the person you are.

    Two points mentioned are the fact that you see yourself as an "unorthodox" and also willing to learn, unlearn and relearn. In the discussion of a communication strength, you detail that in presentations you are able to anticipate questions. A lingering question for me after reading this letter is: What might have spurred your interest in engineering in the first place, pre-uni days?

    Another thing I woud have liked to have read about is your internship. What did you actually do? Explaining that would shed light on why you settled for engineering.

    I look forward to hearing more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts